Follow The Rules
Original Author: Fritz P. Madden
Effect: A spectator takes a card, takes the rest of
the deck and places their card on top. The spectator then
hands the cards back to the Magician who insists that the
spectator disobeyed the rules and placed their card in the
middle of the deck instead of the top. The spectator denys
this saying that they did in fact put the card on top. To
prove them wrong the magician holds up the top card to reveal
that the card is in fact the wrong one. The magician makes a
point to say that the rules are important and must be followed
and instructs the spectator to remember the "new" card that
was held up by the magician . The magician himself then places
the card on top of the deck and makes sure everyone sees
him/her do it. The magician finally proceeds with the real
trick, shuffling the deck, then turning over the top card to
reveal the "original" card that was supposedly lost before the
trick was ever performed.
This trick is simple if you know some fundamental skills
but you must know them well. This trick is between
intermediate and hard.
To do this trick you must be able to palm a card and false
shuffle. make sure you can do these well before performing
this trick. You must be able to do them very discretely
without making it obvious.
1) Fan cards and invite spectator to take one.
2) Distract the player by talking, telling a story,
or eyeballing them ... etc.
3) While they are distracted take the cards in one
hand and pretend to square the deck. while "squaring" the
cards slip the top card off the deck and palm it in your free
4) Hand the cards to the spectator and tell them to
place their card on top. Tell them its important that they
follow the rules.
5) When they have completed this, take the cards
back and tell them that you are now going to shuffle the deck.
6) Before you do, square the deck and place the
palmed card on top. then stop and look the spectator in the
7) Say something like "I don't think you put the
card on top. you put it in the middle didn't you? I told you
to put it on top. You have to follow the rules. We'll have to
start over now."
8) The spectator will deny this and insist that they
put their card on top. tell them that you'll prove them wrong
and ask them what their card was.
9) Hold up the top card and show them that it is not
the card they chose but (important) don't look at the card.
10) Hand the card to them and tell them that this
will be their new card. tell them to memorize it and show it
to everyone but you.
11) While they are looking at the card, palm the top
card of the deck in your hand
12) If you followed all the directions so far then
the card you are palming is their "original pick"
13) Take the new card from them and place it on top
of the deck so they can see you do it.
The rest of the trick is simple.
14) Square the deck placing the palmed card on top
of the deck as before. this time their original card WILL be
15) Shuffle the cards using a false shuffle so that
their card stays on top and never moves. make sure it looks
like they are giving it a good shuffle.
15a) As a variation you can have the spectator
shuffle the cards before you place the palmed card on top.
16) Finally say some mumbo-jumbo magic stuff and
turn over the top card. The card will be the original pick,
your audience will be amazed.
Tell the spectator that rules or no rules, real magic never
[Return to Hard Card Trick Index]